Sep
18
2011

Luck? Can I Really Depend on Luck for an Exam?

 

Clint Eastwood as Detective Harry Callahan.

“Do you feel lucky?”

(Modified from original quote. Original quote below)

It is the night before your big exam. You are stressed beyond words because you have so many concerns. “Do I know this?” “I wish I had more time.” But there is nothing you can do. So what can you do but stress, right? Wrong. The truth is, although you might not want to think about it this way, there is a lot of luck involved with exam taking. Everything from the questions your professor chooses to ask down to the subject material which you choose to emphasize while you study, luck plays a big factor.

Well, it all depends on what you believe. I wouldn’t suggest that you go out and get a rabbits foot or get a lucky pencil in order to obtain a desired outcome. Remember, no good luck charm will ever replace your hard work and effort. However, the moral of the story here is that you should not stress too much about an exam before, or after you have taken it. Perhaps it was not your day. Although you may have studied countless hours and made sure that you learned every topic inside and out, the fact is, how well you do may have a little to do with luck.

Now I admit, I do not depend on luck to do well on an exam or anything else for that matter. However, you can still bend your stress knowing that stressing will not accomplish anything for you. Really, it will not. Sometimes, not doing well on an exam does not always mean you didn’t know the material. 95% of the time, it does, but the other 5%, I say that it was just an unlucky day. But caveat emptor, do not ever depend on luck. I keep repeating, stop stressing over exams! It sounds old by now, but do your best! Really, that is all you can do. You cannot do better than the best you performed on the exam. Remember that. Bend your stress and remember, there are so many factors that can make you perform well on an exam. There are also many factors that can work against you too, such as stress.

“You’ve got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?”

Bend the stress as you study! Good luck and as always, good skill!

About the Author: Kevin Kim

I have devoted my life to science and rational thinking. As a student in life's classroom, I am striving to learn something new every day. Graduate of UC Riverside, Class of 2012. Graduate Student at Keck Graduate Institute, part of the Claremont Colleges. Class of 2014 with a Masters in Bioscience. The track is pharmaceutical design and development with the ultimate goal of becoming a pharmacist who can also contribute scientifically through research. I hope that through my postings, people will no longer be crippled by stress and anxiety. Fight on! Fight Strong!

Leave a comment